Because the EPA has not launched an up to date report on the state of recycling and waste since 2018, it may be troublesome to get a way of how the recycling trade has developed over the previous few years. final years. Listed below are the newest plastic, paper, aluminum, glass, electronics and meals recycling statistics for 2022.
Key recycling statistics of 2022
The extensively publicized statistic that 9% of plastic waste is recycled in the US is now thought of an overestimate.1 Listed below are some statistics that present how recycling has modified lately:
- Of the 40 million tons of plastic waste generated in the US in 2021, solely 5-6%, or about two million tons, was recycled.1
- Between 2019 and 2020, there was an total lower of 5.7% in plastics collected for recycling in the US, or the equal of 290 million kilos.2
- About 36% of all plastic produced is used to create packaging, 85% of which leads to landfills.3
- Round 98% of single-use plastic merchandise are comprised of fossil fuels.3
- Globally, we produce roughly 400 million tonnes of plastic waste per 12 months.3
- Till just lately, the US outsourced a good portion of its plastic, however import bans in international locations like China and Turkey have fueled a decline in recycling.1
Plastic Recycling Information and Stats
Recycling plastic has lengthy been a problem. In contrast to glass and metallic, plastic can’t be recycled repeatedly with out shortly degrading in high quality.
- The entire bottle recycling fee for 2020 was 27.2%, in comparison with 28.7% in 2019.2
- Each hour, 2.5 million plastic bottles are thrown away in the US4
- Between 75 and 199 million tonnes of plastic are at present in our oceans.3
- Plastic bottles take greater than 450 years to degrade.5