In terms of lowering and disposing waste, SWACO is all the time planning for the long run. Our aim is to divert 75% of waste from the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill by 2032, requiring motion from everybody in the neighborhood to satisfy that aim within the years forward. This yr, the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill acquired and safely disposed of multiple million tons of waste. On account of projected inhabitants progress, SWACO estimates that 600,000 extra tons of waste can be generated yearly in Franklin County. Though we now have 43 years of life remaining on the landfill – sufficient area to accommodate that progress – we don’t simply wish to retailer waste. We wish to cut back it.
As 2021 involves a detailed, we’re reflecting again on all that we, as a group, have completed this yr to turn out to be a extra sustainable place to reside and work.
- We accomplished development of a brand new 20-acre landfill cell, which is able to serve our group’s rising disposal wants as our inhabitants grows.
- With the addition of recent meals waste drop off applications in Grove Metropolis, Hilliard and Worthington, Franklin County is now dwelling to 7 handy drop off places which collectively composted greater than 400,000 kilos of meals in a single yr.
- Enhancements to recycling infrastructure and training allowed Whitehall to double its recycling charge, and led to a lower in contamination in Gahanna’s recycling.
- A partnership with the Metropolis of Columbus and AEP Vitality Companions for the Columbus Photo voltaic Park – the most important photo voltaic array on a closed landfill in the US – will generate clear vitality for the Columbus Area, powering 5,000 Central Ohio properties.
- A multifamily housing recycling pilot program will measure outcomes to tell future selections concerning the potential for a full program for households and people residing in residences and condos.
- Greater than a dozen group accomplice recycling and composting applications had been supported at space faculties, nonprofits, authorities buildings and public applications.
- SWACO proposed a Inexperienced Financial system Enterprise Park, a 350-acre sustainability vacation spot that might generate over 2,000 inexperienced jobs, over $350 million in capital funding and greater than $3 million in native revenues
- 100% of SWACO amenities are actually powered by renewable vitality and our waste to vitality facility continues to supply clear vitality to 13,000 properties.
We’re happy with what’s been completed – a real testomony to our group’s dedication to a extra sustainable future. However we are able to all the time do extra. Once we prioritize our surroundings as we speak, we’re defending the generations of tomorrow. We’re creating inexperienced jobs, and constructing a stronger economic system that may enable residents and companies to sustainably develop and thrive.
Thanks, Central Ohio, on your partnership in creating a greater place to name dwelling. Collectively, we are able to make a distinction.